There are very few people out there who enjoy the chore of having to get rid of unwanted hair, giving way to faster methods, like laser hair removal. But is it worth it and what are the alternatives?
How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal uses a handheld device to send a pulse of laser light to a group of hair follicles, which disables and destroys the hair’s root, without harming your skin. This is followed by an immediate cooling spray, cooling the area so you don’t experience any intense pain – you might just feel a bit of discomfort.
What are the benefits of laser hair removal?
- Unlike waxing, you don’t have to grow your hair out in preparation for laser hair removal, so you won’t have to cover up for 2-3 weeks and can shave as normal
- Drastically reduces hair growth, allowing you to stop shorter term methods like waxing and shaving
- Suitable for anywhere on the body (bikini lines, stomach, face, legs, back etc…).
- Less painful treatment than waxing or epilation
- Your skin will feel amazingly smooth
- Professional machines can accommodate all skin types
- No ingrown hairs
- Low maintenance option – you will only need to attend every 6 months after your initial 6 treatment sessions
Are there any down sides to laser hair removal treatment?
- It is pricey as a one-off payment, compared to budgeting for waxing and shaving equipment. However, if you’re able to look at laser hair removal as an investment, this won’t be such a turn off.
Works most effectively on fairer skin
Laser hair removal: quick fire facts
- Its success is very dependent on hair colour, as well as skin type
- Only effective on actively growing hairs
- Treatments need to be spaced 3-8 weeks apart, depending on the targeted area
What are the alternatives?
So what are you options if you decide laser hair removal isn’t for you?
Pros = Cheap, easy and predictable.
Cons = not a long lasting solution and can be fiddly on delicate areas of skin.
Pros = long lasting results, can be used on all parts of the body.
Cons = sensitive areas will prove painful and results are best when it’s professionally carried out.
Pros = long term results and fuss-free.
Cons = not so suitable for sensitive areas and can be painful.
Pros = least painful means of removing unwanted hair, good for first timers.
Cons = messy and no long lasting.
Have you had laser hair removal? We would love to hear what you think of it – drop us a line in the comments below!